Monday, January 25, 2010

New Years & general update

Wowiee! We have had a fun and busy new year. I can't believe I've gotten so behind on my blogging. The first of the month is always a busy time at work, we manage about sixty rental properties and I handle all of the book keeping involved.... so when the first of the month rolls around the rent checks start pouring in and I get super busy. Then, on top of that, the first of the year is especially busy because I'm trying to get all the 1099's and tax stuff finalized and prepared for our accountant. Needless to say I'm a busy little bee. So, please accept my apologies and I'll try to get back on track now *grins*

And what better to get us all updated than a fabulous list! (I love lists!)

1. We celebrated New Years eve with a bang. We enjoyed the evening spending time with my Mom and Dad, Julie and Neil who were luckily in town, and my sweet youngest sister Lori. We snacked and talked and laughed a lot, played Mario Cart wii and stayed up waaaaaay past midnight! Here we are blowing our neat-o noise makers *winks*
2. Kenny and I don't have any "official" New Year's resolutions, but if you asked us to write some down I'm sure they'd include eating healthier and working out more routinely. We've made a pledge to not have fast food or eat out even once for the entire month of January. So far so good. I get a little brain dead trying to think up new and fun things to eat for dinner, but we're enjoying it so far.

We've also done pretty good following a work out routine. Kenny bought me a Wii fit board and Wii fit plus for Christmas (woo hoo!!) and we are having a blast working out on this fun toy! Usually I'll start out on the elliptical for thirty minutes while Kenny uses the wii fit then we'll switch and workout for thirty more minutes. It's really fun and seems to actually burn some calories *grins* Every Monday we do a body fitness test and "weigh-in". It's neat to actually see some physical results up there on the screen!

Another fun gift that I got Kenny for Christmas is a Sauna! Kenny had mentioned in passing how neat it would be to have a sauna, not thinking at all that it could become a reality. Well, I found a great deal on one on Craigslist and just pounced on it! My parents set it up for me on our back patio while we were gone to Kansas for Christmas and when we got back home and opened up our gifts I walked him outside into the back yard for his last present....let me tell you what, he was SO SURPRISED!!

This is a picture I found online

We have really been enjoying it. It is such a relaxing treat after a hard workout! We sit in it for about thirty minutes almost every night and just read or listen to music (it has a fun sound system inside) *grins*

3. This kind of goes along with "working out", but we have become more dedicated with our running as well. If you'll remember, we signed up to run the OKC Memorial half marathon at the end of April. Well, that date is creeping closer everyday, so we've got a running schedule planned out and have been following it pretty faithfully since the middle of January. My longest run so far has only been about four miles, but I'm building leg strength every day and hoping and praying that I'll continue to get stronger and run farther and be ready for that 13.1 miles in April, whew!

This is the schedule that I'm trying to follow. Kenny's mom told me about it and said it was a good training schedule for a beginner.

4. It's not all hard work and working out here at the Schell house, we've had fun watching soccer, football and college basketball games! I've got to admit, Kenny has completely converted me to a Kansas basketball fan. I was screaming my heart out watching the K-State Wildcats play against Texas *laughs*
We've also been rooting for Brett Favre and the Vikings to make it to the super bowl, so I was pretty sad last night when some unfortunate turn overs left them empty handed. *sniff, sniff*
Oh well, there's always next year.... right Brett Favre?!?

5. And last but certainly not least we celebrated my beautiful Mom's birthday by having a yummy pot luck lunch last Sunday afternoon. Mom got up at four o'clock in the morning to put in a yummy pot roast and get the Rhoades rolls rising. Good gracious! You shouldn't have to wake up early on your birthday!? We are sure lucky you are our Mom!
Kenny and I brought potato casserole and some yummy broccoli and Lisa treated us all with a scrumptious Hawaiian wedding cake!

We had a great time just hanging out with the family. We sure love you Mom and hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly did have a good time. I always do when I'm with my family.
MoM

Neil and Julie said...

Wow, Neil and I sure look excited about new years! I guess we were tired.... LOL!