Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lumberjacks!

Dad, Mom, Kenny and I got to be lumberjacks all weekend long! ;)

We've been needing and wanting to really trim back a lot of the branches in our trees. Some of them were damaged during the ice storm last winter and some of them were just growing so big and out over the street and house that then needed to be trimmed back. Dad and Mom have the same situation at their house and we've just been procrastinating so we finally decided that THIS was the weekend to do it.

We rented a huge aerial lift that can go up FIFTY feet in the air! And we got to work!
Saturday morning Kenny and I went over to Mom and Dads and we started our big work day. Dad and I went up in the lift and I operated it while Dad used his chain saw to cut down limbs. We also took two big trees out for their sweet neighbor, Aunt Lee. That was an adventure! Dad tied ropes around them and Kenny and I were pulling while he chainsawed the base and they came crashing over. Then while Dad and I continued to cut down more and more limbs, Mom and Kenny were on the ground gathering them all up in bundles and Kenny chainsawing the big pieces into fire wood. Let me just tell you, we are all set for firewood for this year! *grins*

We worked the WHOLE day, just stopped for lunch and kept going until the sun set. It was a lot of work, but a ton of fun. It was really such a pretty day just to be outside, and I love the feeling of doing hard work and accomplishing something. It was fun hanging out with Mom and Dad and my heart was just throbbing with love for Kenny helping out there all day. It makes me think about what a huge help Mom and Dad were to their parents and I want to be able to help them ALWAYS the way they are ALWAYS willing to stop and help me.

Saturday night Kenny and I had an indoor soccer game at ten o'clock, after our long days work. I was so nervous. This was only my second time to play....ever, but it ended up being so much fun! Kenny scored TWO goals! :) I got at least one really good kick in, I'm hoping to get better every time.

Sunday morning Dad and Mom came over and we got started on mine and Kenny's trees. I was so excited! We go SO MUCH done! We worked all day again, just stopping for lunch and then working until the sun went down. I've been feeling sympathy for our Garbage collectors now, we have about thiry huge bundles of sticks waiting to be picked up.

All in all it was a VERY productive weekend and I'm thankful we were able to get all that work done :)

No comments: