Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl Sunday

Have I ever told you that I have the greatest husband ever!!! Just let me tell you what we did on Superbowl Sunday....we.went.grocery.shopping.....

That's right, on the one day of the year when a lot of guys just want to veg out on the couch and watch the big game, my sweetie pie went to not only one, but two grocery stores with me! I love that sweet guy more than words could tell you.

We were planning to pop in Wal Mart and get the essentials, then dash over to Sam's Club to stock up on some bigger items. I was somehow under the impression that the grocery stores would be deserted because of all the people watching football, but I was sadly mistaken.

Apparently hundreds of thousands of people waited until the last minute to pick up their snacks and food for the big game. The store was overrun by mad men dashing up and down the aisles, frantically grabbing chips and dips, cheeses and meats. Food was flying through the air like a frenzied hurricane with absolutely no regard for proper shopping cart etiquette *laughs*

We somehow managed to dart up and down the aisles and gather up the bare essentials and then head for the check out.....oh the check out lines.....it's all a blur now, but we somehow survived.

Luckily Sam's club was a little more laid back. No maniacs screeching around the corners with their shopping carts hopped up on two wheels, children hanging on for dear life. We breathed a sigh of relief and finished our shopping.

We made it home about fifteen minutes into the game. I think Kenny deserves the Vince Lombardi trophy for putting up with all that! *laughs*

We watched the remainder of the first half and then I felt the urge to do some great snack cooking. I made my favorite, chewy chocolate chip cookies... Next I whipped up a gigantic heap of chex mix. Kenny's Grandma always makes a yummy batch for Christmas eve and Kenny loves it!
And last but not least I was dying to try out this new recipe for Jalapeno popper dip. The recipe was posted on one of my favorite blogs, ourbestbites. If you're ever looking for a fun new recipe you should check them out!! They have the best recipes!
This dip was heaven on a plate, creamy jalapeno goodness. Oh, I'm drooling just thinking about it.Here's the recipe in case any one wants to share in my joy *grins*

Jalapeno Popper Dip
Recipe from Our Best Bites
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese (light works great)
1 c. mayonnaise (light also works here, but DON'T use Miracle Whip!)
1 c. Parmesan cheese
1 4-oz. can fire roasted green chilies
1/2 4-oz. can diced jalapeno peppers, drained
1-2 sourdough baguettes, sliced, and/or crackers

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients and spread into a 9" pie plate or a small baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dip is bubbly and golden brown.

I actually halved this recipe, since it was just me and Kenny and it worked out great. Try it, if you like cheesy spicy goodness you won't be sorry!

The whole while I was cooking away in the kitchen Kenny was calling out the play by play to me *laughs* I was finished up in time to watch the last quarter and we enjoyed watching Drew Brees celebrate the Saints victory with his little son. So sweet...

4 comments:

Matt and Lori said...

I LOOOOOOOVE that jalapeno popper dip!!!! My mouth is watering too, I want some right now! Did you have a hard time finding the fire roasted green chili's?

Kenny and Karen said...

yeah Lori, I couldn't find "fire roasted" green chilies...of course, it was during the wildly busy wal mart shopping trip *laughs*

I just used regular green chilies. If you find the fire roasted let me know! :D

Neil said...

buy for less...bueno frozen has some roasted kind i think. plus, you should be able to find Hatch brand canned green chilis at buy for less which will have much greater flavor than any other canned brands.

i'm a bit of a green chili enthusiast (i'm even a fan of it on facebook...bet you wouldn't have guessed there was such a page lol)

Kenny and Karen said...

Wow!! Thanks Neil :) I will have to go check out Buy For Less. I love this dip recipe, but I bet it would be EVEN better if I had a yummier green chili, or the actual fire roasted kind!

I knew you knew your chilies, I should have just called you in the first place *grins*