Friday, December 4, 2009

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oh gracious, the holiday time always conjures up images of scrumptious treats, all sorts of yummy things to cook and eat. It's fabulous for your taste buds, but murder on your diet plans (mine anyway *winks*).

Well, one specific recipe has alluded me...until now. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not too shabby with the good old classic Toll House recipe, but they never turn out just exactly the way I think they should. They're either a little too flat or a little too gooey. Overdone or underdone. (I keep thinking they need yeast or something *laughs*)
Well, I happened across a recipe online that was called Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and they had me hooked from the get go *grins*.

I whipped up a batch after work and the moment they came out of the oven I knew they were the cookie for me! An added bonus, you don't even have to use an electric mixer for this recipe. The butter is melted so you can just stir it all up by hand, wow!! I had a cookie photo shoot right in my kitchen I was so excited!
They are soft, moist and tender, but still hold their shape. I had to pull the reigns to keep from eating them all! I sat down on the couch next to Kenny after polishing off number three. I was at a cookie high, just grinning like a goof. He looked up at me smiled a sweet piteous look and leaned over to wipe off my chocolate goatee *laughs* They're that good people!

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
2 C plus 2 T flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
12 T butter (1 1/2 sticks) melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 C semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Chocolate Chunks!)

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower- middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

Shape with a standard sized cookie scoop and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet (or a silpat). Bake until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 10-13 minutes. Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.
I hope you love them as much as I do!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes they are yummy. I got to try one (or two). Thanks Karen
MoM

Neil and Julie said...

wow! those look amazing! I especially love your wine glass of milk ;) I will have to try these out RIGHT AWAY!