Monday, November 24, 2008

Doe a deer...me and my "dear"

Lol, I hope I'm not the only one goofy enough to "get" that headline. I know Dad will laugh if no one else *grins*

Kenny and I had SUCH a fun weekend at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge! We got up early on Saturday morning and drove a little over an hour to the park. As soon as we got there, the first place we saw was Mt. Scott so of course we drove to the top and got a spectacular 360 degree view of the entire place!

It was a little breezy and about fifty-eight to sixty degrees, but we had layers on and once you got out and moving around the weather was just about perfect. :)

We drove around the whole refuge stopping at all the little turn off's and lakes and scenic places. It was really beautiful. The leaves had all changed to their fall colors, and we were plesantly surprised at ALL the wildlife that was out this time of year!
There were a bunch of really neat hiking trails that we of course had to check out! A couple of them went up into the mountains and over rivers, then a few others went winding through the woods on flat ground with just a dirt trail to guide you. I just knew we were going to be lost in the woods and be on one of those "survivors" tv shows ;) ....there was NO CHANCE we weren't going to survive. I was practicing my LOUD whistle just in case I had to alert someone of our location, lol. But, my fabulous trail guide husband kept us perfectly on course at all times!


Kenny is such a great photographer. He really got a chance to practice this weekend! We were about to give up hope on seeing anything other than ducks and geese when we rounded a corner and came face to face with a huge longhorn! It was so cool, just grazing right beside a trail.






I sometimes wonder what animals do all day, I mean...they don't have "jobs" and they don't go on vacation or play sports or watch tv....hmmmm, I wonder.... ;)
There were sweet little praire dogs running about...back and forth between their dens. They were precious but kind of fraidy-cats. They were munching on grass and seeds and would keep glancing up to see how close Kenny and I were getting and once we got within a certain distance they would stand up on their back feet and start chirping the alarm *laughing* SO adorable. Some of them were stretching in the sun and snugging up together!!! Awww!
We also saw three beautiful deers and got to pull over and get just close enough not to scare them and take some great pictures. They were so peaceful and content. Kenny was really hoping to see some buffalo and just as we were leaving the park to head to our hotel for the night he spotted THREE young buffalo tramping around and butting heads out in a field! It was amazing! You could hear them grunting and growling...so surreal! It's is so different from seeing them at a zoo or something.
We left the refuge and went to stay the night at Holiday Inn in Lawton. This hotel was fabulous! I highly recommend it if anyone goes out to Lawton. There were free Otis Spunkmeyer cookies in the lobby the moment we got there to check in. The lady at the front desk actually encouraged me to bag some up to take to our room because they "go fast" ;)

Our room was HUGE, truly one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever seen! Kenny and I also got to enjoy the hot tub downstairs all by ourselves. I think most of the hotel guests must have not thought about bringing their swim suits in November. There was a gorgeous fireplace outside right by the hot tub that provided such a sweet ambiance. It felt SOoo relaxing after a long day of hiking.

Sunday morning we checked out and went back to the wildlife refuge just to enjoy a little more before heading home. I am so thankful for the time Kenny and I get to spend together. Just being around him makes me fall in love all over again. I appreciate all the sweet little reminders of why I love him, like the way he ALWAYS opens my car door for me even when we're in the middle of the wilderness, or the way he hikes downhill ahead of me and stops to take my hand and help me down the rocks or across streams, or picking up an empty pop can to throw away for someone who had just left it there. Awwww, I love that boy!

Well, it was a fun weekend adventure in the heart of God's awesome creation that I will never forget!

No comments: