Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What a shiner!

Wow, yesterday was a busy day! The kind of day that just blows by and you find yourself plopping down on the couch thinking whew what just happened!?! *grins*

Kenny's first baseball game of the season was scheduled for Monday evening, but the weather was forecasting rain so we were kind of anticipating that the game would be rescheduled.....never trust the weather, ;)

At lunch I had noticed that my gas gauge was reading "E" *note to self, get gas AS SOON AS YOU LEAVE work tonight. Then when I got back to work I found out that some people were coming in to do training for a new website that we are using, so I was in that training until about 4:45 when Kenny called me to let me know that the game was ON.

I hustled and bustled to get my last few tasks at work done and flew out the door at about 5:12 (the game started at 5:00 and I was supposed to be keeping the baseball score books for Kenny)....jump in car....peel out of parking lot....divert straight into rush hour traffic....notice gas gauge for the second time...OH NO!

So now I'm scanning the road sides for a gas station as I'm gingerly driving south to the game, all the while praying and biting my nails from trying to find the location, trying to find gas and scared out of my wits to "keep the book" (you remember my lack of sports knowledge) *grins*

By this time I've got Dad on the phone with me just in case I putter completely out of gas and have to abandon my car and hitch hike to the game (only teasing). I've also called Julie (our family baseball expert) to confirm with her whether a foul ball counts as a strike or a ball *laughs*

Hallelujah, I spot a 7-11 just in time, fill'er up, zoom on down to the game, park my car and come face to face with a twelve foot chain link security fence. It's awful, I can see Kenny, see the players, see the game, but see NO way to get past this fence. I actually considered crawling under it like some kind of crazy escaping prisoner, but decided that would look odd with my work clothes and high heels on *laughs* I can hear his players now, "hey Mr. Schell, isn't that your wife crawling under that fence?"

Finally Kenny spots me and runs over to tell me to drive down to the other side of the field where there is a gate! whew :)

Once inside the game was more than half way over, but we were winning 5 to 2! Yay! I sat down, took a deep breath, smelled the freshly cut grass and just smiled.
Then as the other team took the field and their pitcher was warming up and I was finally breathing normally again... Kenny was walking behind home plate, the umpire asked him a question and as he turned to respond a ball came sailing in, bounced off the catchers glove and hit Kenny RIGHT IN THE FACE! Eeeekkkk, wifely panic! I wanted to run on the field, stop the game, tackle Kenny, inspect his eye and hold him down with an ice pack.

I couldn't even see if he was bleeding or anything. I was trying zoom my camera in from across the field to inspect his injury. Thankfully it wasn't too hard of a hit and he wasn't bleeding.

So that evening we iced it down every twenty minutes and he took some Ibuprofen to stop any swelling and he's looking pretty good this morning *grins*

The guys won their game and Kenny took one for the team :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! Poor Kenny :(