Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Meet me in St. Louis

Whew we had SUCH a glorious time on our vacation to St. Louis. After the whole Florida Keys "vacation" I had started to forget what great fun vacations are. Well, THIS trip completely made up for that last illness infested vacation crisis *grins*

I feel sort of at a loss for words to describe five whole days of fun in a small blog post, and please bear with me, there will probably be a lot of pictures *smiles*

We'll just take this day by day....

Wednesday,
THE MOMENT I got off of work Kenny and I hopped in his car and took off for Springfield Missouri. Julie had called earlier that day to warn us of some impending bad weather that would probably hit the highway just as we were hitting the highway. Eeeek! Well, we didn't have much of a choice except to stay home, or delay our start time. We decided to forge ahead and try to watch the skies and keep the radio tuned to weather if things started to look hairy.

There were a few dark and ominous looking clouds, but not a drop of rain. We kept in contact with Neil and Julie as well as Kenny's Dad, just to make sure we weren't driving into the eye of a storm or anything. Thankfully we made it to Neil and Julie's house safe and sound.

Julie and I were on the phone and she was waiting out on her driveway as we drove up. From a distance, in the twilight, I almost mistook her little legs for a trash can *laughs*!

We got inside and all settled and took the grand tour. Let me just tell you what!! Their house is SO beautiful. Everything feels all warm and cozy and fresh and new! We felt welcome the moment we stepped inside.
Then just as we were settling down to a fun filled evening, the storms broke loose! It was pouring rain and the winds were howling and the tornado sirens were going off! Craziness!! We were all scrambling around peeking out the windows, watching the weatherman and trying to decide if it was time to take cover! *laughs*

Thankfully it all blew past and things really calmed down. We got ready for bed and slept like babies!

Thursday morning hostess Julie had hot cinnamon rolls and orange juice all ready for us. Kenny and I stayed until about 10:30 in the morning and then headed out to continue our journey towards St. Louis.

It's about a three hour drive from Springfield to St. Louis so it went by pretty quickly. On the way I got to see the brightest, thickest rainbow I've ever seen. It didn't even arch, it just went straight across the sky! I don't think my picture quite captured it's beauty!
Before I knew it I had my face against the window glass staring in awe at the ENORMOUS silver St. Louis arch in the sky! I couldn't believe it was so big!! Way bigger than what I was expecting!
We were blessed to find a really great deal on a hotel room. We wanted a hotel downtown so that we'd be within walking distance of the arch and the concert and so many neat attractions. We found a $196 a night room at The Hilton at The Ballpark, downtown for only $63 Woo Hoo!!

It's next door to the baseball field and we could see the arch from our room! We got checked in and then took off to sight see!
Here's the baseball field
and the fountains in the courtyard outside our hotel window
Look, these cute little bunny rabbits were hopping about DOWNTOWN in the grass!We of course went over to see the arch. Even more unbelievable right up close!! There is even a museum and gift shops and all sorts of space underground at it's base!

What a neat downtown area! There is all kinds of old architecture and charm! Look at this pretty building!

By this time we were starting to get hungry, so we had dinner at TGI Fridays and I had THE MOST delicious sandwich I've ever experienced!! California Club with avocado on Ciabatta bread Wow-O-wow!! Scrumptious! I am drooling right now! *laughs*

After dinner we went back to our room to get all spruced up for the Billy Joel & Elton John concert!! I must say, Kenny looked extra handsome *winks*. We were able to walk about five blocks down to the Sprint Center and enjoy a night full of unbelievable music!
Billy Joel played EVERY song I wanted him to play. Uptown girl, Always a Woman, In the Middle of The Night, Still Rock & Roll, (and so many more!) With the first few bars of each song I'd jump for joy and Kenny would just look over at me and grin.
Those guys played and sang for almost FOUR hours!! Wow, what talent! I was especially impressed that Billy Joel can play the piano and harmonica at the SAME TIME!!
We left the concert just erupting with excitement! What an amazing night! Thank you Kenny for such an unbelievable Valentines gift!!

Stay tuned tomorrow for even more fun filled vacation days!

No comments: