Friday, September 4, 2009

Banana Bread

I don't know about you guys, but every time I go to the grocery store I convince myself that I need to buy some bananas. I love bananas and they're good for you, you're supposed to eat lots of fruits and vegetables....I could definitely start eating one a day!
So, I buy them and eat one occasionally and eventually end up with a fruit bowl of over ripe bananas. I think the problem is I'm overly picky about the ripeness of my bananas. They have to be barely yellow, maybe with just a hint of green still showing, absolutely NO brown, not even brown spots or they're too ripe to eat.
But....not to ripe for banana bread!! Yay! So, in my quest for the perfect banana bread recipe, I discovered this one over at simplyrecipes.com. It makes a really moist yummy bread!
By excitedly requesting the recipe, my Mom and sister Julie actually inspired me to share it here on my blog *grins* So, without further adieu...

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Directions:
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

I usually end up cooking it a little longer than an hour, but I think that's because my oven is older than I am *laughs* I just insert a toothpick in the center to check it for doneness.

My Mom also adds some nuts to the recipe, walnuts or pecans. It's really tasty!

So, if you ever see a fruit bowl of over ripe bananas I hope you can try this one out!

1 comment:

Neil and Julie said...

I just made some today! It was wonderful! I actually took mine out after 55 min, so I think it does depend on your oven. Or it could be that I was using a 10" pan... Also, if it takes you a while to collect over ripe bananas, you can freeze them (be sure the take them out of the peel first - that didn't turn out so well the first time i froze bananas!) and then defrost them when you are ready to make the bread! thanks for sharing!