Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Run for your life....luckily Kenny's a track star!

Saturday was a beautiful day! I had the windows wide open letting the fresh fall breeze blow throughout the house, I had set to work doing a ton of cleaning, getting ready for Kenny's Mom and Dad to come down to stay with us for a few days and my sweet hubby was working hard getting the lawn (front and back) all mowed and spiffy. *grins*

Well, we had worked all day and when evening time came I was really hungry and not wanting to dirty up my freshly cleaned kitchen so we decided to go grab McDonald's and a redbox movie! What a treat!

I grabbed my purse, we hopped in the car and were on our way. As the garage door was closing and we were turning down the street we saw two big teenage guys walking along the road. Not an uncommon sight as there are lots of shade trees on our street and some apartments are about a mile away on either side of our neighborhood.

McDonald's is only a couple of minutes from our house so we picked out a great movie, ordered up my favorite Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad and headed back home. We opened up the garage door, were walking through the garage and happily chatting about what the movie would be like and what we were going to do tomorrow.

Kenny ALWAYS opens the door and allows me to go in first, but somehow this time he ended up in front of me. He had merely stepped a foot and a half inside the door when, at the top of his lungs, the loudest I've ever heard him, he shouted "HEY!!" Then thrusting him arm backwards towards me yelled frantically "go,go, get out,get out!"

My heart leapt out of my chest and thoughts ran chaotically through my head, "our house is on fire....a bear is inside....man with a gun...." I focused on the latter of these three, threw my hands in the air and ran for my life out of the garage with all the speed I could muster on my shaky legs. Kenny tells me I was yelping "what!? what is it!?!"

We darted out of the garage and I ran North around the side of our house. If it was a gunman I wanted to be out of the direct line of fire. Then glancing up I noticed Kenny had dashed out of the garage and headed SOUTH, in the opposite direction! "Where are you going" I thought panicking...

Then I saw those two big teenagers sprint out our back gate and head South. The smaller of the two had Kenny's laptop dangling under his arm. Like a bolt of lightning straight from the heavens Kenny shot across the yard and grabbed the big guy by the front of his black hooded sweatshirt. Then face to face, eyeball to eyeball, Kenny growled with rage "WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE!?"

If you can only imagine, my heart was doing the Spanish flamenco in my chest and I was shaking like a leaf. The smaller guy threw Kenny's laptop down in the grass and holding his sagging pants up with both hands, took off down the street. I shrieked at the top of my lungs "YOU BETTER COME BACK HERE OR WE'RE CALLING THE COPS"

At this point I whipped my cell phone out of my purse and was paused like a cat, ready to dial, "Kenny, I'm calling the police!" I said.

"No, wait, hold on a second" Kenny replied and was such a man, continuing to forcefully confront the big guy..."You better call your friend back here or we're calling the cops. What were you thinking!? Do you know if I had a concealed carry permit I could have SHOT you both!?! You were in my house!"

The big guy was scared stiff and shaking from head to toe. "I was not in your house sir, I did not crawl through your window sir" he nervously lied to Kenny. "CALL HIM BACK HERE NOW" Kenny roared, and he submissively obeyed.

Unbelievably the smaller guy came back... Kenny continued his lecture "I'm a teacher and I deal with guys like you all the time. What are you, high school kids?" (they nodded) "What were you thinking? You're better than this..." Then Kenny turned and told me to go inside the house and make sure nothing else was missing.

I just knew the moment I left him alone with these two thugs they were going to whip out a knife and try to fight him so I said "wait, Kenny...make them empty their pockets before I leave you alone with them and make sure they don't have any weapons!"

They quickly turned their pockets inside out while feebly pleading "we didn't take anything else, all I got is my cell phone..." So I rushed inside and made sure Kenny's wallet, our TV's and video game systems and anything else of value was still in tact. I dashed back outside and let Kenny know it looked okay...

Finally releasing his death grip on the big guys lapel Kenny finished "You guys, this is your chance.of.a.lifetime.... I'm letting you go without calling the police, but if I ever see you around here again, or hear of something like this, you won't be so lucky!"

And heads down they walked off down the street...

Kenny and I gathered our composure, walked inside the house, and just wrapped our arms around each other shaking. We looked at each other in disbelief, "I can't believe that just happened!?" We were in no condition to sit down, eat and watch a movie!

We were both feeling foolish because it turns out that after mowing Kenny had left the lock off our gate for just a moment, and I ALWAYS close the front windows (so as not to tempt anyone to break in), but I had left that back window wide open and those boys slit the screen to crawl into our home.

I am so incredibly thankful for my brave, manly, track star husband, Kenny you are my hero! And we are blessed that they didn't damage anything more than our screen. They could have torn up our house, or had a gun and shot us, wow!

Needless to say, I've contacted ADT and we're getting a working alarm installed soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope you never have another experience like that one. I am thankful things turned out not to bad.
MoM

Neil and Julie said...

wow I had a second panic attack reading this! you should be a novelist!