Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Arches National Park

This morning we drove straight to Arches to take advantage of the cooler morning temperatures! Whew, what a break, it was way down around 98 degrees *laughs*
First thing we went to hike the double arch trail. What a spectacle of nature this is! It's amazing enough to see one arch, but to see two right together like this is really rare! Wow!
We also ran across about ten different little lizards scurrying about along the way. We had fun trying to capture them on film. Kenny's pretty good, but I always zoom in real close then lose them from the viewfinder and just look like a maniac all hunched over creeping along the ground mumbling "where'd he go?"....."I can't find him".... *laughs*

Next we took the Park Avenue trail down into a valley. This hike was about two miles round trip. We got to see a ton of the monuments up close just looming over head dwarfing us. I personally named this one (below) Pharaoh with chalice.
See how it looks like King Tut holding a big golden cup out in front of him! *winks*

Next we wandered over to see The Delicate Arch from the lower viewpoint. It's pretty breathtaking even from down below. *smiles*
After seeing a few more glorious sights the temperature was starting to soar and our tummies were growling so we decided to head back to Moab for lunch and a little siesta.

We happened across the cutest little eatery called Moab Diner. Just like a 1950's diner complete with little red and chrome stools. Soooo cute!
Then we went back to our hotel to enjoy a little nap and some air conditioning. About 5:00 we headed back to Arches to take on the monster hike up to see The Delicate Arch. I remember the last time we were here I thought I.was.going.to.die on this hike. *laughs* It has some really steep mountainous portions plus you're higher up in altitude than I'm used to, so it was quite an endeavour. Plus, I was a newly engaged little lady and had to be a sporty hiker, plus a glamorous fiance who doesn't sweat or complain at all *laughs*
This time the hike was actually pretty easy! I think because I had built it up in my head it was easier than expected. I enjoyed it and really soaked it in this time!
The view at the top was spectacular as always!

Once we hiked back down we got to see some amazing cliff drawings! Can you believe these are from 1800 BC!!! And they're still so dark and discernible! I'm amazed!
We drove out of the park just as the sun was setting and got to see some amazing red and golden orange colors bouncing off the rocks.
Once we were back in Moab we found a neat little frozen yogurt shop called Hogi Yogi and had a tasty treat just before bed! Wow I love that hubby of mine!

No comments: